Thursday, April 20, 2006

LA in NYC?

LaVar Arrington looks closer to solving the Giants' problems at Linebacker. The marquee free agent still available was in New York today for a physical and to presumably re-open contract negotiations. This move is significant for several reasons. First, Arrington refused to take a physical in his first trip to New York a month ago. Second, Arrington's representation said that they would like their client signed before the draft and New York is his only scheduled trip before next weekend. While I'd be foolish to consider this a done deal, it is appearing that he will end up in the Meadowlands.

In baseball news, the Cubs will be without star firstbasemen Derrek Lee who fractured his wrist in a collision with Dodgers SS Rafael Furcal last night. He is projected to be out 8-10 weeks, which is another devastating example of the Cubbies poor fortunes. More importantly, I lose my first round draft pick from my fantasy team. Lee joins CC Sabathia as two of my important players to already suffer injuries indicating I could be in for a long season. The A's bullpen also hurt my cause by blowing Barry Zito's wonderful start today.

The underrated story of the day comes out of Minnesota. Minnesota reserve RB Moe Williams was found guilty of disorderly conduct on the Vikings infamous boat scandal. He is the first player convicted out of the messy scandal that derailed the Vikings this season. The reason I consider it underrated is this: star quarterback Daunte Culpepper has already been dismissed with cornerback Fred Smoot and offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie with cases still waiting to be heard. Those two will also be dismissed due to star power. However, Williams role as a goal line back does not give him the necessary star credentials to avoid legal trouble. I find it hard to believe his actions were far different from players such as Culpepper yet he gets charged. Had Culpepper faced a jury I'm not suggesting he would have been exonerated, but I think stars have the ability to avoid being judged by such panels. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Smoot and McKinnie in their upcoming cases.

No comments: