Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Listener Rips the Mad Dog

Several weeks back I described my increasing lack of patience with WFAN's famed duo Mike and the Mad Dog. However, with nothing remotely interesting on TV during the day, I find myself tuning in to YES to see if they can redeem themselves. After watching Chris Russo, "the mad dog", rip in to the first three callers I knew there was very little shot of redemption. Arguing over Billy Wagner's blown save last night he unleashed on a caller with his trademark high-pitched ranting voice. Although I quickly lost patience, I flipped back just to see if he would handle an interesting topic. No sooner do I arrive on the YES network do I hear a caller returning the favor. He referred to former WFAN employee Sid Rosenberg's assessment of Russo as a whiny brat and proceeded to assert that this evaluation of his character was spot on. But a funny thing happened to me hearing this. Although I've wanted to call in and say the same, watching Russo take the criticism as a man was a sight to behold. He simply told the caller he was entitled to his opinion and carried on with the show. I still hold to my convictions that the two men have developed larger than life egos that have negatively affected the show, but I did gain a lot of respect for Russo's ability to handle the criticism.

No comments: